Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"Order in the Court!"

In my Bible reading I have gotten to the book of Judges (yeah, I'm a little behind on my goal of the year...but that's not my point). As I was reading this morning all I could think was, "man, I love this book." Here's the jist of the book (like most of the old testament): Joshua dies. Israelites mess up. God allows other nations to take them captive. God appoints a judge to deliver them and get them back on track. Israelites mess up. God allows other nations to take them captive. God appoints a new judge to deliver them and get them back on track. Etc.

So what do I like so much about the book? It's not that I love watching the Israelites screw up (although it makes me feel not as bad about my screw ups). What I like about the book is all the opportunities God gives them to get back on track and how he uses ordinary people to lead them.

One of my favorite stories in Judges is from chapters 6 and 7, the story of Gideon. When God called upon Gideon, Gideon didn't understand why God would choose him.
Judges 6:15 "But Lord," Gideon asked, "how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family."

God was able to use Gideon. First he had him destroy the alters and idols of his father, then he wanted Gideon to lead an army to defeat the Midianites. One of the things I found interesting is all the tests Gideon did to make sure God was who He said He was and that He will deliver them from the Midianites. God did everything Gideon requested. Sometimes I want to be able to ask that of God. I always ask for signs...but most of the time He has already given them to me and I just haven't noticed.

Another interesting thing I find in this story is of course how God uses Gideon to defeat the Midianites. Gideon had a huge army and would have had no problem winning a battle based on numbers alone. What did God do? He made Gideon decrease the size of his army...twice. Gideon had only 300 men after starting out with 32 thousand. That takes a lot of faith to give up those kind of numbers and leave a measly 300 ment. After all of that, Gideon's army didn't even fight the Midianites. All they did was break pots and blew trumpets and the Midianites attacked themselves. I think God did this to show that He truely is the one that delivered Israel.

I think this story makes me realize the power of God is bigger than anything I can do. When I wonder why or how God can use me, I need to remember it's God working through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment